Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:05:05 -0700
From:      Rem Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Printer Installation

  Hi all.  I'm having problems installing a printer on a new 8.1
installation.  I want to do this sans CUPS and via lpd.  lpd is enabled
in my /etc/rc.conf.  Here is my printcap:

  lp|photosmart:\
     :lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
     :af=/usr/local/share/ppd/HP/HP-PhotoSmart_7760-hpijs.ppd.gz:\
     :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/photosmart:\
     :sh:

Whenever I try and print, for example...lpr -Pphotosmart
/etc/printcap...I get this error message: "lpr: Connection refused"
Now, although I stated that I want to install the printer using lpd,
CUPS is installed on the computer, but not enabled.  I seem to recall
that there could be a path problem with lpr if CUPS is installed and one
tries to use lpd, but I've forgotten how to deal with that, if indeed
that is the problem.  BTW, I have included ulpt0 as a permission in my
/etc/fstab file.

Any help much appreciated.

Rem