Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:15:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Today is E-day

Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Well, it took over six hours, but it worked. :-) One question
> though, if it's not too stupid: Where do we tell ldconfig out
> libraries are? /usr/lib/aout, which is where the old ones are now?
> surely not? It refuses to use /usr/lib (why?), which is where the
> new ones are installed, and hard-linking them into /usr/lib/elf
> and using that didn't work next time I tried to log in. (something
> about minor numbers, I think, because it found libtermcap.so.2 when
> it was expecting libtermcap.so.2.1. Sure, I could make links,
> but...)

If you haven't already done so, edit /etc/rc and change the _LDC line
to reference /usr/lib/aout instead of /usr/lib. Once you do that and
re-run ldconfig (or just reboot), your aout libraries will function
normally (they are deprecated, though).

ldconfig will die with aout. ELF does not need hints since it handles
just a single version number of a library and knowing that can go straight
to the library name.

/usr/lib is the normal place for system libraries, so the elf versions
belong there. You don't need to make any links in /usr/lib. In fact you
should just stick with what the build process puts there.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137