Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:18:42 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: start multiple sendmail daemons from rc.conf?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 07:23 , while impersonating an expert on
the internet, Andy Farkas sent this to stdout:

[lots deleted - wjv]

> > Until he gets more memory he can add swap space - man 8 swapon -
> > but to blame sendmail for an under powered or mis-configured system
> > is wrong.

> I know exactly what happened to my system. I was there watching
> it self destruct. But the beauty of FreeBSD is its stability;
> the box is still running and hasn't even been rebooted.

> Yep, it needs more RAM and more swap. But that aint gonna happen :)

Why?   Read the vnconfig and swapon man pages and you can see you
can make a special file and use that for swap.  That means no
reconfiguring of the devices.  Of course the presumes you have
enough space on the HD to do so.   I personally think it's better
to have enough swap to keep problems from occuring.

A friend is running a web server on OS/X and it builds swap files
dynamically.  When it runs out of swap it creates another 80MB swap
file.  I just checked and there are 12 of them right now.  Before
he started moving some load to another machine I saw as high as 27
80MB files in use as swap.   Not as good as dedicated HD space but
good enough to keep you going?

I'm just curious as to why you don't want to add swap - as it will
keep at least one problem from happening.

> Some background on my setup: sendmail, procmail, bogofilter, and
> amavis/uvscan. sendmail receives a message, sends it to amavis
> which spawns a uvscan, then procmail bogofilters it. Works well,
> but is rather resource intensive (and as you've noticed, this
> box is under-resourced).

Boy do I know that feeling.  After a nearby lightning hit weaked my
mobo causing it to finally fail a month later I was on a system
that if I got a load of mail things would creep along.  Now I have
a much faster system.

> If I disconnect from the 'Net for a few hours, mail gets queued
> upstream, and when I reconnect, vast quantities of email come in
> all at once spawning hundreds of processes. (the poo hits the
> fan at around 300 procs)

Oh yes.  I would use fetchmail to go to the server, but I'm on a
DSL so only when the DSL wedged did I see that problem.  I can
really relate to that.

> My sendmail.cf has this in it:

> O QueueLA=3
> O RefuseLA=4
> O DelayLA=2
> O MaxDaemonChildren=16
> O ConnectionRateThrottle=3

> but the situation can still occur :)

That's pretty low.  You are saying even with those you run into
problems. Wow.  I was thinking you might be running with the
default 8 and 12 and could lower those.

Mabye we can take up a collection :-)

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com