Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 1996 01:26:37 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu (Brian Buhrow)
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG

At 12:06 PM 10/1/96 -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>	From my perspective as an administrator of systems which use both types
>of virtual disk drivers, I have to say that I like the NetBSD way of
>keeping the configuration file in a flat text file much better.  Veritos is
>powerful, but it doesn't auto-recover from failed disks, and it is very
>hard to manage its configuration information precisely because it is stored
>on distributed areas of disks which are unreachable by mere mortals living
>on FFS filesystems.

How about storing the data in a private section of the disk, and being able
to export the data into a flat file, human readable? Then also being
able to parse the output file and restore it onto the disk?

I mean, the mount command on some (all?) systems can generate an fstab.
Why not the virtual disk device?
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  "Corrected!" -- Old Amiga tips file  \  kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu