Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 16:34:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        dkelly@hiwaay.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed test

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Reference:
> > From:		dkelly@hiwaay.net
> > Date:		Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:19:02 -0500
> > Message-id:	<199708160319.WAA05640@nospam.hiwaay.net>
>
> Hi,
> dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
> > Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> > >
> > > That should be moderately easy:  Grab lites and get moving...
> > >
> > > I somehow doubt that there are many Mac owners who are into UNIX ...
> >
> > I've always said, "Gimme a Mac, or gimme Unix, keep the half-baked poor excus
>   > e Microsoft boxes to yourself." Maybe I'm 3-sigma?
>
> What does "3-sigma" mean in English ?
> (I'm English not American, perhaps others were puzzled too ?)

If I remember correctly 3-sigma is esstentially a short-hand for 1 in a
million.  It derives from statistics where given a gaussian (bell)
distribution, the probability of anything outside 3 sigma (sigma is a ususally
the standard deviation) from the average is like .999997 or something
close to that, which is basically 1 in a million.  Motorola was big into
this basing their near zero defect quality project on this catch phrase.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu
<A HREF="http://www.glue.umd.edu/~crb">My home page</A>