Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:30:34 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld breakage during "make depend" at usr.bin/kdump

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 09:49:25PM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> David O'Brien has suggested another (better, I think) approach for the
> mkioctls patch.  I'm reporting what I (had already) used.

Actually mine had a fatal flaw.  I committed your version. :-)

> For the regex/doc/Makefile, it seems that gawk allows the value for -v
> to be adjacent to the -v itself, while the -CURRENT awk works better if
> there is whitespace separating them.

Committed.

> * It seems that while gawk supports the POSIX "bracket expressions"
>   (POSIXese for "character classes", basically), the awk we are now
>   using in -CURRENT does not appear to do so.  (Again, I cite empirical
>   evidence, vs. documentation.)

Committed.

> * Since no lines matched, the "first" variable remained set at 0, and
>   since the help array was empty, the loop termination condition in the
>   END block could never be reached.  I believe this to be suboptimal.
>   I found that by changing the intial value of "first" to -1, that made

Left out for now.

I don't know what I had before -- I thought I was running Bell-Labs awk
as the native awk.  That is how I found the other problems with the
loader's awk scripts in the past.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)