Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 08:45:38 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to add a 2nd disk

At 17:44 31/8/95, Andrew Webster wrote:
>I've been banging my head against the wall for the past hour trying to add
>a 2nd IDE drive to an existing FreeBSD 2.0.5 system, and just
>
>Under freebsd 2.0, sysinstall allowed you to partition a disk and label it
>without doing anything else.  Under 2.0.5, you have to commit the
>operation,

Do like this:

1. boot from install floppy.
2. fdisk, disklabel the new disk and define one partition as root (/) disk
(and one for /usr if you have 2 partitions
3. commit and define custom install and install for example only the
/usr/games to the new disk
4. boot
5. edit fstab
6. mount -a
7. delete everything from the new disk

And you will have a new empty installed disk.

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !