Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:14:33 -0500
From:      Miguel Cardenas <mfcardenas@prodigy.net.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ashadul hoque <ahoque.YKKSAO@ykk.com.bd>
Subject:   Re: Wait 15 seconds for SCSI to settle

> I have installed FreeBSD5.2.1-RELEASE on Vmware.
> When booting I am seeing the message "Wait 15 seconds for SCSI to settle".
> The problem is I am not using any SCSI device on my virtual machine. I
> tried "sysctl kern.cam.scsi_delay=100" but no improvement.
> I want to squeeze maximum performance out of this setting. So, any pointer
> to the right direction will be appreciated.

I use FreeBSD in the same way as you... never have tried to do what you want,
but I remember (not 100% sure) that when you create the new virtual machine
it tells you that will use:

IDE Adapter: ATAPI

SCSI  Adapter: BusLogic /LSI Logic

I guess it uses *both* interfaces although you only use an IDE
virtual/physical disk/partition and the kernel tries to access it... it is
like if you have a SCSI card without a CDROM/HDD connected to???

It does not let you choose to use or not SCSI, just select the type... I think
the goal could be to *disable* the SCSI support on the virtual machine, not
to configure the freebsd... The best option could be contact VMware tech
support or forums to ask how to disable SCSI...

Regards.