Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:36:48 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Naylor <dbn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wine (-devel) and i386-wine

from David Naylor (excerpt):

> If you are going to have a /compat/i386 chroot then you could install (normal
> 32bit) wine there and with the correct scripts run wine from that chroot
> without needing i386-wine at all (you will need to set up the correct PATH,
> LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH_RPATH variables).

> Alternatively, you could install wine on 32-bit and i386-wine on 64-bit and
> use those respectively.

> I hope this clarifies.

That helps!

I think I tried to install i386-wine, but now I will try with plain wine, or wine-devel.

This would be on a separate partition so as to be able to run independently of amd64 installation.

Then for amd64, I could mount this partition on /compat/i386 and would have to set up the scripts to run wine from that chroot.

I had this problem on a previous installation, remember asking questions.

That was on a hard drive that went bad (amd64 installation part), and while I recovered most user data, wine configuration and also i3 window manager configuration were lost.

I believe if you build i386-wine only to run on amd64, you don't need Xorg for i386, but in my situation, I will need Xorg for both amd64 and i386.

Tom