Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:01:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        vipw@home.com (Adam Serediuk)
Cc:        zamy27@hsonline.net (Scott Myron), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

> Scott,
>
> the processors do NOT have to be the same stepping. it's just general
> practice to match the stepping of the cpu's when possible. I believe this
> has to do with the possibility of the clock rate varying slightly from
> stepping to stepping although I am not sure.

They do not have to be the same stepping, they must be MP comptabile
steppings per the Intel Processor Errata Data Sheet.  This applies
to all Intel MP capible processors, from the P54 (Pentium) to the
PIII Xeon.

Some combinations work, others do not.

Also they _should_ be MP tested chips, which can be determined by
the S-spec number and other markings on the chip.  On Pentium in
is the last letter of the markings like SSS or VSS or VSU, last
letter being U means only tested for UP operation, last letter
being S means tested for MP operation.

Please do not answer questions you do not have the technical
expertise to answer completely and correctly, it only leads to
confusion.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net