Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:59:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        bryan@connect.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem/ethernet card problem

> I recently purchased FreeBSD, version 2.2.2.

Hmm, how recently, and from whom?  If possible, get a refund and get
FreeBSD 2.2.5, which was released a couple of weeks ago.

> I installed it on my laptop via parralel laplink cable.  I have a
> Megahertz by USRobotics PCMCIA card.  It is a pc card Ethernet Modem
> with XJACK connector.  28.8/14.4 bps. FreeBSD is probing the device as
> zp when I boot up the operating system.

Not quite.  FreeBSD is trying to determine if your card matches the
driver that the 'zp' device knows about, which is the 3COM ethernet
driver.  It doesn't match, so it doesn't use the driver for your card.

> When I run the ppp program, I can't seem to talk to the modem.

That's because there is no driver for your modem setup.  Getting the
driver to work with your modem is pretty easy, but it requires building
a custom kernel.  Having said that, this is a much easier task in
2.2.5-STABLE (post-2.2.5), where there is an example kernel config file,
and suspend/resume supports works much better.

> I Called walnut creek tech support and they encountered the same problem.
> It's probably singling out the ethernet device and not probing the modem.

They are right on the money.  You need to either build a custom kernel
with PCCARD support built in, setup /etc/rc.conf and /etc/pccard.conf
correctly and it should be found fine.  But, if you upgrade to the most
recent release you'll get a bunch more bugfixes and generally better
laptop support.

Nate