Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        The Shadow <root@vpm.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new HD.

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, The Shadow wrote:

> I've added a Seagate and ran fdisk & disklabel.   Not remembering how
> to add a hard drive on the fly I'm not sure I did it right.

This information was posted to -questions the other day.

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 02:20:45 GMT
From: James Raynard <jraynard@dial.pipex.com>
To: matt@xanadu2.net
Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: Need Help!!!

> I have sent several pieces of e-mail in the past few days, and am in
> desperate need of a reply.  I need to know the exact procedure for
> preparing a new hard drive for use in a FreeBSD 2.1 machine.  I have a
> 2.2 gig SCSI-2 hard drive, and have been struggling with fdisk and
> newfs for a week now.  I simply need someone to outline the proper
> steps for use of fdisk, newfs and mount in the installation of this
> hard drive.

There's a posting I saved from Usenet last month at the end of this
message. Another alternative is to run the installation program (it's
/stand/sysinstall), use the partition and fdisk editors to set up the
new disk and use the 'w' option to write them to the disk. Make sure
you quit before it starts actually installing anything, though!

If you're worried about damaging your existing disk, you could
remove/disconnect it, boot off an installation floppy and setup the
new disk in the same way.

(Disclaimer - I don't have a second disk, I haven't tried any of these
procedures myself and I don't know if any of them actually work. Make
sure you have everything backed up before you start)