Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:01:20 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net
Subject:   Re: kern/71142: [syscons] [patch] add vesa [1024x768] mode support

This is great!  I recently updated a tablet PC to -CURRENT just so I could use
the VESA mode support in syscons, and I'm very pleased with the result.

One thing I noticed--there doesn't seem to be a way to change or specify the
font size.  The font size used seems to depend on the mode and font size
being used prior to setting the VESA mode.  For instance, on the tablet in
question, mode 280 is a 1024x768x32 video mode.  I am using cp437 fonts and I
have them specified for all three font sizes.  If I run:

# vidcontrol VGA_80x25

followed by:

# vidcontrol MODE_280

I get a 128x48 console using, I presume, the 8x16 font.  If I then run:

# vidcontrol VGA_80x50

followed by

# vidcontrol MODE_280

I get a 128x96 console using, I presume, the 8x8 font.

Would it be possible/easy to make the behavior consistent (same result for a
given command regardless of prior state) and (ideally) user-controlled?  If
the -g flag is used, the best behavior might be to automatically select the
largest font that will allow the requested geometry within the requested
video mode.  If the requested geometry is not possible within the requested
video mode, either generate an error (and don't change the mode), or
automatically select the smallest font and use the highest geometry available
within the requested mode.

Should I write this up as a bug report?  Unfortunately I don't know where to
begin as far as an actual patch.  I am of course more than happy to test any
patches that might appear.

Thanks,

JN