Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 2020 11:25:45 -0400
From:      "Vlad D. Markov" <dvoich@aim.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Reset xorg using lumina desktop

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 10:19:06 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:27:00 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear kind FreeBSD users,
> >=20
> > I am running FreeBSD using lumina.  I was using two screens, one with H=
DMI
> > and one with VGA at school.  Since learning is now online, I am using o=
nly
> > HDMI now, but my screen only remembers new setting.  I have tried check=
ing
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf but it is not present.
>=20
> That file needed to be generated in the past, but it's no
> longer needed (and even the location is not correct anymore,
> today you can use a /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf file, or
> partial files in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with
> configuration fragments).
>=20
> For example, if you want to force a specific screen size
> ("resolution"), you could use the following:
>=20
> /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen.conf:
>=20
> 	Section "Screen"
> 		Identifier "Screen0"
> 		Device "Card0"
> 		SubSection "Display"
> 			Modes "1024x768"
> 		EndSubSection
> 	EndSection
>=20
> I use this to have a laptop with a native LCD size of
> 1280x800 to display correctly on a 4:3 CRT attached at
> the docking station.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > I try screen configuration, but
> > cannot reset it to only Monitor with HDMI output.
>=20
> You can use the xrandr program to manually switch to the
> screen you want. Then add that to your X startup file,
> ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession, so it will automatically use
> the desired monitor when you start X.
>=20
> With xrandr, you can also alter the size ("resolution")
> parameters of the screen, if needed.
>=20
> However, most of all this stuff should be correctly
> autodetected by X.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > How can I reset it so I can just have fresh desktop with all icons on t=
he
> > screen?
>=20
> "Desktop with icons on the screen" is a matter of the deskto
> environment, not of X. Most desktop systems will arrange the
> icons depending on the screen parameters they find.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > If you need output from xrandr, I can send it in on Monday. When teachi=
ng
> > online and using Google classroom, the microphone was muted, I started
> > using telefono to use and connect with it.
>=20
> Always check mixer settings, levels, selected recording device,
> and for the program in use, which sound system it uses (for
> [...]
I am not sure but this sounds like an issue I had where the default was to =
display on both my laptop and external screens and I had the laptop closed.=
 All the icons and menu bar were on the closed laptop and all I saw on the =
external monitor was the background

I solved this using xrandr in my .xinitrc file. I turn off the laptop displ=
ay if the external is available and vice-versa which is probably unecessary.

#!/bin/sh
#set -x

intern=3DLVDS-1
extern=3DVGA-1

if xrandr | grep -q "$extern connected"; then
    xrandr --output "$intern" --off --output "$extern" --auto
#       echo "turning on external"
else
    xrandr --output "$extern" --off --output "$intern" --auto
#       echo "turning on internal"
fi

--=20
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be =
questioned about their motives.?
? Ralph Waldo Emerson