Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:42:27 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD-java developer instructions

Note, the tree is not *yet* going to be available to developers until
tomorrow sometime or sooner if someone can provide me access to the
JDK1.1.4 sources.

Requirements:

0) Legal access to the JDK1.1.5 sources.  Send me private email and I'll
   ask you a question about them which I will use to determine if you
   have access to the bits.

1) A FreeBSD box connected to the Internet
   a) SSH must be installed (you'll use it to get the bits)
   b) A reasonably recent version of CVS must be used (V1.9 or better)

2) A copy of both your password entry and your SSH public key.  However
   you feel is safe in getting it to me is your business.  If you use
   PGP, you'll need to tell me how to un-encrypt it. :)

3) A multiple window/terminal environment.  One window must be dedicated
   to the SSH connection (it can't be backgrounded), and the other will
   be used for CVS operations.

4) A desire and ability to work on the port, and not just 'loiter' on
   the list so you can see what's happening.  My CVS server box and
   network connection can't afford a bunch of folks not doing any work,
   so if you don't plan on doing any work, then plan on getting the
   patches when they are released, or wait for the binary releases.

I'll be writing up more detailed instructions as I get time, but for now
this give folks a good idea what's required of them.

Finally, don't expect anything in the near future as far as a public
release.  I'm leaving for a week in Jamaica starting Friday, so I'm just
trying to get things setup so that other developers can start beating on
the bits before I leave.  You can speedup the process by getting me
access to JDK1.1.4. :)

Questions?  Send me private email?  If you want added to the list, send
me private email.

If you want to phone me, my phone number is (406) 443 7063.

Nate