Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 11:49:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tim Jokela <tjokela@execulink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do you support spam? Re: "Invitation to list your Web Site"

On Sat, Jan 03, 1998 at 07:00:19PM -0500, Tim Jokela wrote:
> I notice that you advertise at the website responsible for sending me the
> spam quoted below,
> <www.infobase-intl.com/cgi-bin/bone/InfoBase/loginAction/login>.
>
> I hope that you do not support spam. Please inform whoever is in charge at
> aaex.com that spamming is contrary to honest Internet business
> practices.

The FreeBSD project is strongly opposed to spam.  We expend a lot of
effort to limit it.  It's also not clear that the FreeBSD project is
"advertising" on this web page.  We ask people who use FreeBSD to
display a FreeBSD logo, including the one that you see at the bottom
of this page.  The page designer has chosen to make it a link to
www.FreeBSD.org, which makes sense.  IMO none of this has required any
action on the part of the FreeBSD project.

It's a sad fact of life that even predatory net users can use FreeBSD.
It would be contrary to the FreeBSD mission to try to stop them.

Greg

>> From: admin@infobase-intl.com
>> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 98 13:46:24 -0800
>> To: tjokela@execulink.com
>> Subject: Invitation to list your Web Site
>>
>> Hello....
>>
>> We invite you to list your Web Site free of charge in our new Internet
> Directory located at:
>>
>> http://www.infobase-intl.com

Another observation: there are various levels of spam.  I once had a
spammer use my system to relay spam, trying to make it look like it
came from my site.  I consider that the worst, a criminal offence.

Next are those who spam mailing lists with unrelated, often obsecene
or illegal propositions.

After that are those who spam individuals with unrelated, often
obsecene or illegal propositions.

Finally, there are those who spam individuals with propositions which
they think may be of interest.  I'd certainly think that this one
falls into this category.  OK, it's spam, but it's less obnoxious than
most.

Greg