Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:45:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please help to uninstall FreeBSD!!!

>> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:23:29 -0700,
>> Walt Pawley <walt@wump.org> said:

W> As speculation on my part, perhaps the six character limitation is less
W> a software issue than an early architecture issue - DEC's PDP-6/10
W> design used 36-bit words and packed six characters (clearly from a
W> limited subset of the then current ASCII) per word, making simple
W> searches very effective through symbol tables with a simple word level
W> compare loop.

   I'll second that.  My first job for Uncle Sugar was on a DEC 10/55
   for the Air Force, and 36-bit words were a fact of life.  There were
   lots of programs around for conversion to/from 32-bit words, just so
   we could talk to everybody else on Earth.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

Men are liars.  We'll lie about lying if we have to.  I'm an
algebra liar.  I figure two good lies make a positive.      --Tim Allen