Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:38:58 +0100
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>, pjd@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Teaching mount(8) to use nmount()

On 10 Oct 2005, at 10:11, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <200510101001.38294.dfr@nlsystems.com>, Doug Rabson writes:
>

>>> We could do that.  I had some thoughts on this:
>>> -> In the future, we want to make it difficult for people to add new
>>>    external mount programs [...]
>>>

>> The mount program isn't always just doing argument parsing.
>>

> Agreed, that's why it didn't say "impossible" :-)
>
> I think we are basically in agreement here, the point is to avoid
> pointless mount_foo(8) programs.

So (as I understand it), the suggestion is to get rid of all
mount_foo programs that just deal with mount parameters. I guess the
operation of mount then would be to check for mount_foo and exec it
if it exists, otherwise do nmount stuff to handle the mount itself.
That would work nicely for mount_webdav (which is *really* cool if
you have a chance to play with it on a mac).