Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:14:59 +0000
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

* Terry Lambert (tlambert2@mindspring.com) wrote:

> So it seems to me that the utility of this on 32 bit machines is
> incredibly limited (e.g. shell programs).

The utility of the counters on anything but, perhaps, dialup, is
practically zero, since they reset every 4.2GB - even my single user
cable gateway exceeds that in a few days.

Even if some things will break (how badly?), I'd rather have potentially
useful counters over known useless ones.

How about keeping them at 32 bit and also counting the number of times
they've overflowed?  User level stuff can then do potentially slow 64
bit ops if needed.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-