Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 18:41:36 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   gcc 2.1.7 (and libg++)

I haven't seen anything on this list about this, so I'll ask:

gcc 2.7.1 was recently release, and it seems things compile this
time around, whereas 2.7.0's libg++ was totally broken.  I'm
kind of tired of gcc 2.6.3 and all its bugs, I want some new bugs
to play with.  Unfortunatly I don't know enough about freebsd's
linker and assemlber to get things going.  I tried compiling things
out of the box, it configured and built fine, but the assembly it
produced had some '.weak' macro that /usr/bin/as didn't understand.
I tried GNU's binutils version 2.6 to get it working but my problems
only grew.  I figured that the assembler should be producing code
that would link okay, but it wasn't.  I tried building the GNU linker
too, and it liked the stuff the assembler was producing but not
the old libraries(crt0.o).  I don't know object formats, can
someone help?

Is the core team planning on moving to the new version sometime?

I'm working on a project for school in C++ and its a pain having
to deal with different versions of gcc, and gcc-2.6.3's c++ has
more bugs than 2.7.x I'm pretty sure.

-josh