Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:14:34 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

"Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> > > So what is the criteria for determining "fitness"?  Those who
> > > survive?  But then this just leads us into a logical tautology,
> > > whereby the mechanism for evolution amounts to "the survival of
> > > the survivors."
> >
> > "The survival of those best suited to survive", actually.
>
> It is still a triviality.  Of course those "best suited to survive" will
> survive.

I never claimed it was profound, only that it worked...

> I don't really have a problem with adaptation, per se when limited
> to within species.  What really strikes me as absurd though, is
> the idea that chance mutations can give rise to new functionality,
> for that functionality is not functional until everything is plugged
> in and working.

As long as it's not harmful, it's not selected against, and it
hangs around.  Alternately, there could be some other environmental
pressure, which is not pervasive, but is instead periodic.  The
fact that viruses emerge in waves, rather than being a steady
background noise, is indicative of this mechanism.

> What possible purpose could a partially evolved
> sex organ have, for instance?

I think that you are begging the question; the survival value
of gametogenesis is fairly indisputable.  The real question is
not gameteogenesis, per se, which could easily have occurred
as a result of a mutation, but internalization of gametogenesis
into the organism to such an extent that specialization of organs
occurred.

The second and third search results in the search reference I
gave you go into this idea in more detail than I'm willing to
go into myself, in this forum (the significance of the search
was not my ability to do a search, it was in my selection of
specific terms, and their ordering and grouping, to answer an
earlier question of yours).

> > The answer is that nature is not anthropomorphised (or personified)
> > by having the power to select, so long as it does not exhibit will
> > in the process.
>
> But does this not present a difficulty?  With no will to do the
> selecting, "the power to select" is completely unintelligible.

You keep saying that it's unintelligible, but literally many
thousands of scientists don't find it to be unintelligible.
Why do you say that it's unintelligible?  Why don't they say
the same thing?  The answer has to lie in the fact that you
and they don't share some fundamental assumptions.

-- Terry