Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:22:56 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 03:12:51PM -0400, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> > Why not actually store the fake ID in a symbolic link? That way you just
> > do a readlink(), which would be safer, neater and faster than reading a
> > file. A user can set up a fake ID with something like:
> >
> > 	ln -s "Warm-Fuzzy" .fakeid
>
> Hysterical raisins. ~/.fakeid being a text file is how it's always been done.
> That would be a better idea if I didn't mind confusing the hell out of
> people :)

You could tell them to do:

	ln -s `cat .fakeid` .fakeidnew
	mv .fakeid `cat .fakeid`
	mv .fakeidnew .fakeid

Also - I guess if you're goting to patch inetd to do this stuff it should
be runtime configurable to be able to:

	1) return the traditional :ERROR:HIDDEN-USER,
	2) return the real user always,
	3) return the fakeid if it exists, and otherwise use the read user id,

You should probably use uname to get the OS name too?

	David.