Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 2002 15:05:20 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>
Cc:        Steve Burton <steve@sliderule.demon.co.uk>, Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CVS question

If memory serves me right, Erick Mechler wrote:
> :: is it possible to 'step off' STABLE onto RELENG_4_6 once it's official?

Yes.

Technically, you could go to RELENG_4_6 *now* if you wanted, but you
need to remember that if you do, you'll have a system claiming to be
4.6-RELEASE, even though we aren't done putting the finishing touches
on it yet.

> I imagine that if you just CVSup the RELENG_4 branch at the exact time 4.6
> is released, you (essentially) have 4.6-RELEASE installed on your system.
> At that point, just change your release tag in your CVSup file to be
> RELENG_4_6.

Note that 4.6-RELEASE will be tagged from the RELENG_4_6 branch, not the
RELENG_4 branch.

For the short time between the creation of the RELENG_4_6 branch and the
time the RELENG_4_6_0_RELEASE tag gets applied, there will be very few
changes to either RELENG_4 or RELENG_4_6.  The few changes that are made
generally are applied to both branches, except for version number bumps.

The upshot is that the timing isn't as critical as you made it sound.
Unless we need to do something really drastic over the next few days,
you ought to be able to update to RELENG_4_6 in much the same way as you
would update to RELENG_4 around the same time, and vice versa.

Bruce.