Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:39:47 +0100
From:      Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.1.0_4 still broken?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 12:58:27PM -0400, a clever sheep wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 11:28:45AM -0400, Kenneth Mays wrote:
> >
> > Successful install notes on using these applications on v4.3-R
> > 1. XFree86 v4.1.x
> > 2. Gnome 1.4.x
> > 3. KDE 2.1.x
> > 4. Netscape v4.77, 6.1
>
> am i just missing something here?
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/ ; make install
> cd ../gnome ; make install

Did you have Mesa3 installed before you did this?

It seems to me that:

	gnome depends on x11/xscreensaver

	xscreensaver depends on graphics/gle

	gle needs libglut which is in graphcis/Mesa3, but if you have
	XFREE86_VERSION=4 set the gle port doesn't try and make it.

If I try and build Mesa3 "by hand", it bombs out.

It used to be (with earlier versions of XFree86-4) that Mesa would
build correctly if you wanted libglut.  So if you had Mesa3 build
from the times when you had XFree86-4.0.1, and then you installed
XFree86-4.1, then your build of gnome might work, while mine
wouldn't.

I've stuck script(1) output of a attempt to build $PORTSDIR/x11/gnome
and $PORTSDIR/graphics/Mesa3, and the output of "pkg_info" at
<URL:http://www.shivan.demon.co.uk/gnome-build-fail.txt>;

I'll probably take a week or so to look at it sufficent depth to
file a meaningful PR (with a fix, I hope).  But work has a habit
of sneaking up on me.

Mike

--
Mike Bristow, seebitwopie