Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 96 9:56:20 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stty -echo -nl, emacs

> Emacs shell mode gives me
> ; date
> date
> Wed Mar 27 00:49:09 CST 1996
> that kind of junk.  Under NextStep, SunOS4, Solaris, I can
> deal with it using stty, but I've had no luck with FBSD.

I don't really understand this report.  The subject line implies that
you have entered

  stty -echo -nl, emacs

which isn't a valid sequence of arguments for stty, but I can't think
what you really did.  Which shell are you using?  With bash or ksh,
things work correctly (or at least the same way as under SunOS 4 and
5).  You shouldn't need to do any stty adjustments.  If you still
can't get it to work, please tell me:

  1. Which shell are you using.
  2. The output from stty -a when these problems occur.

Greg