Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:05:44 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Nessus without X-Windows?

I want to use Nessus but I don't want to install a ton of graphical
junk on the target server.

Info at the Nessus home page indicates that you can build the server
portion without Gnome/X-Windows, and either use a character-based
client, or I presume an external GUI client.

However in the FreeBSD html README file for the Nessus port it says
the following:

    "This port requires package(s) "XFree86-3.3.6_4 gettext-0.10.35
  glib-1.2.8 gtk-1.2.8 [...] nmap-2.53" to build.

    This port requires package(s) "lynx-2.8.3.1 nmap-2.53" to run."

So not only does it appear to have dependencies on X, but also on
versions of other things I don't have. (I just updated nmap to 2.54x,
I have lynx-2.8.4d4, and current ports are supposed to use XFree86
v4.x also)

Am I going to have any success with this?  I do have the option
"WITHOUT_X11=yes" in my make.conf file.

Thx,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium