Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:39:23 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        "Julian St." <der_julian@web.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: playing mp3s and burning a cd

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 11:18:59PM +0100, "Julian St."
<der_julian@web.de> wrote:

> Am Mo, 2003-03-24 um 20.33 schrieb Vallo Kallaste:
> >
> > Current isn't better. This is a long time problem and is most
> > noticeable when you "downgrade" from -current to -stable... it's
> > unforgettable feeling :-P
> > I don't expect it will be fixed in the near future, because it's
> > been so over a year now. Current has it's weak points and this is
> > only one of the regressions.
>
> I remember having this problem on 5.0-RELEASE, but it was completely
> gone once I upgraded to -CURRENT (late february I think). Perhaps it
> could be interesting to know if this problem is connected to certain
> hardware components. (Athlon XP 2400+ (2008 MHZ), SiS board, realtek
> 8139B network, SB Live!, nVidia TNT2U, UDMA100 WD harddisk)
>
> Besides: my CDROM drive is working properly using PIO and UDMA33.

Sorry I wasn't clear that my particular problem is related to
network I/O. Mouse movement is jerky on sound skips while doing ftp
transfer over 100Mbit interface. SMP system with two 500Mhz PIII,
SCSI all over, fxp interface(s) and netgraph based bridge running.
Physical media is crossover cable. Can't say anything about ATA(PI)
I/O, but I will be installing just arrived ATAPI CD-RW/DVD drive
today, so we'll see..
--

Vallo Kallaste