Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 2004 07:09:16 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loosing STDOUT after file rotation

I have a program that I have the is supposed to run forever.  I log any
output to a log file.  It is run in a startup script like thie:

program_name >> $err_log 2>&1

The problem is that after newsyslog rotates the $err_log file, no more
data is written to the file.  I can not stop and restart the program.  I
can accept a signal.  But what do I need to do in "program_name" to allow
the data to be written after the "rotation" of the file.

Thanks,
Jim

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .