Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:50:38 +1000
From:      LODea@vet.com.au (Lachlan O'Dea)
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Volano Report

I was just reading the new VolanoMark results (benchmarks of JVM
server-side performance) in this month's JavaWorld. FreeBSD did better
than last time, although it was still the slowest of the bunch.

The Linux Blackdown JDK was run with TYA, but the author didn't seem to
be aware that TYA will work with FreeBSD too. With a JIT I reckon
FreeBSD's results would have been similar to those of the Blackdown JDK.
Also, I thought Blackdown used native threads, whereas the article says
it uses green threads.

An encouraging comment was:

> Granted, there's no such thing as too fast, but even FreeBSD and Linux
> have Java support fast enough for all but the most demanding Java server applications.

I also loved this paragraph:

> Unlike Java support for applets on the client side (where two virtual
> machines -- those provided by Microsoft and Netscape in their
> respective Web browsers -- dominate), the leaders in Java on the server
> side change monthly. Nowhere is that more apparent than for
> Intel-based systems, which provide dozens of Java VM alternatives.
> Volano customers can and do switch overnight from one Java virtual
> machine to another -- or even from one operating system to another --
> in order to gain the best performance or network scalability from their
> Java applications

In other words, Microsoft's worst nightmare :-)

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-1999/jw-03-volanomark.html

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:LODea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software