Date:      Wed, 29 May 2019 15:25:41 -0500
From:      Joe Love <joe@getsomewhere.net>
To:        erlang@freebsd.org
Subject:   Deploying program on erlang runtime 21

Hi,

I=E2=80=99ve been trying to wrap my head around creating my Elixir-based =
projects on my client workstations (which are not freebsd) and deploying =
them to a FreeBSD server using the erlang-runtime-21 package.

I think I=E2=80=99m a bit lost somewhere on it, and am hoping to get =
some guidance here.

I=E2=80=99ve created my project on my mac.  I=E2=80=99ve added =
Distillery (per many suggestions & guides).  If I understand everything =
correctly, I can=E2=80=99t include ERTS, as that=E2=80=99s the part =
which is compiled based on the host OS.  Therefore, I modified my =
Distillery config to not include ERTS in the production build, and then =
ran `mix release --env=3Dprod`.

I uploaded the resulting _build/dev/rel/myproject to the FreeBSD server =
which has erlang-runtime-21 on it.
I set my path to include /usr/local/lib/erlang21/bin, added ERTS_LIB_DIR =
=3D /usr/local/lib/erlang21/erts-10.3 and tried to run it.  Apparently I =
have erts-10.1 on my machine and the server had erts-10.3, so it seems =
that that also needs to match.

So, given all of this, I remember being told that while the lang/erlang =
port was older, that I could always use the runtime ports, and things =
would work.  Can someone fill me in on how they're supposed to work?  It =
seems like things are more intricate regarding running beam-vm-based =
programs on a different machine than that you=E2=80=99re building it on.

Thanks,
-Joe=