Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:36:03 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replace SCSI Drive

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:09:54PM -0700, Tim Judd wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Not to be presumptious, or rude, but I've read the first part of this
> thread (a bit late, yes) and I'm just confused.
>
> If you're going to go so far as to prep the drive at home, before
> driving to the NOC, with a unrunnable OS on a labeled disk, it seems silly.
>
> I propose:
> 	Do a typical install of FreeBSD 6.4/7.1 on this disk.  Let it be as
> full as to boot an operating system (but maybe skip out on the
> networking blah blah setups).
> 	Bring this (verified) bootable disk to the NOC, install it as da0
> 	Move the old, 73GB failing disk to da1
> 	Boot the Dell, maybe running in single-user mode
> 	You've got a pristine format (or pristine enough) to restore the
> filesystems on top of it.
> 	Rebooting with da0 again to see if your network settings, startup,
> apps, etc etc etc all start as appropriate.
>
> 	Only if this method fails, do you use the Fixit CD and "fix it"

This is good, especially if he wants to upgrade to the next
version of FreeBSD at the same time.

But IIRC the problem is not that the OS currently on the disk does
not work, but that there are some problems with the disk itself -
but that it is still readable.   It is more about replacing the
disk with another presumed more reliable than the current one.
So, in that case, it is much easier to take the few minutes to
build the disk slice & partitions and then just do the dump/restores
than to build everything new and then hand pick the things he wants
to save from the old disk.

But, if an upgrade is done at the same time - probably a good idea
actually - then that hand picking will be done anyway, so might as
well do it as you say.   I took it straight from his original
question rather than from the notion of doing an upgrade along the way.

////jerry