Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 02:13:25 -0500
From:      John De Boskey <jwd@freebsd.org>
To:        Current List <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Poor 5.0/nfs performance

Hi,

   I have a 5.0 system from 10/27. In an attempt to improve
performance I commented out the INVARIANTS/WITNESS options:

#options        INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
#options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
#options        WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
#options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on spinlocks for speed

   and then started a make release.

   Since doing this, the machine has become almost totally
unresponsive. Command execution is measured in hours. A page
from top which finally came up shows some very high load
averages:

last pid:  1892;  load averages:  7.14,  6.00,  5.67    up 1+10:49:19  23:50:26
34 processes:  1 running, 33 sleeping
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice, 78.5% system,  0.8% interrupt, 20.7% idle
Mem: 69M Active, 909M Inact, 214M Wired, 51M Cache, 112M Buf, 255M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 36K Used, 4096M Free

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
99689 root      -8    5  2928K  2236K biowr    0:59  0.00%  0.00% cvs

   The cvs is being executed by 'make release' updating the chroot area.
The repo lives in /home/ncvs which is an nfs mount of a 4.7 system. A
kernel with the above options does not exibit this behaviour.

   When I killed the cvs process, the machine returns to normal.

   I guess my basic question is: Are the INVARIANTS and WITNESS
options required at this point?

Thanks,
John