Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 01:58:15 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gerg@stallion.oz.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: major number for new multiport serial driver

>I have coded a FreeBSD driver to support some of the Stallion Technologies
>multiport serial boards (in particular the EasyIO and EasyConnection 8/32
>families of boards). I am just about ready to unleash it onto the world
>(for some alpha testing off-course!) and would like to get a character
>major number assigned for it. So far I just used the next spare one (67) in
>the 2.0.5 kernel. (Sorry haven't tryed it on 2.1 yet... :-(

>So how do I do that?

Get it put in -current.  Then it will get the next spare major number in
-current, unless it is delayed a few weeks or months until major numbers
have gone away.  Major numbers were never really assigned on request like
old docs said.  -current is close to having dynamic assignment of major
numbers, with only device names being important.

Bruce