Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:05:43 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Jiawei Ye <leafy7382@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Jabberd vs PostgreSQL

Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 10:33:45PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> Jiawei Ye wrote:
>>
>>> I can see that postgresql requires LOGIN, but jabberd is BEFORE:LOGIN,
>>> what is the proper solution?
>> If I understand correctly, pgsql runs as an unprivileged user, which means
>> it needs to REQUIRE LOGIN. OTOH, there is no reason that jabberd should run
>> BEFORE LOGIN, and I suspect that is an artifact of copying and pasting a
>> script that had that in it for no good reason. In fact,
>> ports/net-im/jabber/files/jabberd.sh.in does not have that line, so I am
>> wondering what port you're working with here.
>
> I'd agree that pgsql should REQUIRE LOGIN, but I think the reason is
> subtilly different.  In my mind the key with LOGIN is that the system
> is ready security wise to allow users to interact with the machine via
> methods other than the administrative console.  This should mean the
> secure level is elevated and any other security bootstrapping is done.
> IIRC this is actually not the case and should be fixed.

That's an interesting idea, I'll have to give it some more thought.

>> In any case, the proper fix here seems to be to have jabber REQUIRE
>> postgresql. Try that, and if it works, you're golden.
>
> There are a couple problems with "REQUIRE postgresql" in general:

I wasn't speaking in general. :) I probably should have
s/here/in your situation/ to make it more clear what I meant.

> I think the right thing is create a stub DATABASE provider that mysql
> and postgres can be BEFORE.  Ports that want a database can just depend
> on that.  It will insure that ordering is correct if the server is local
> without causing problems if it isn't or requiring script modifications
> for ports that can use more than one database from the same package.

No objections on my side, but I am not in a position to develop or test it,
since I'm not using any database stuff at the moment and don't have any
spare cycles. This topic came up on the -rc list a while back and no one bit
the apple, so if there is a user (or committer) here who wants to work this
one out, please feel free to take this project up, and report your findings
on freebsd-rc@.

Doug