Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:32:46 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        "Andresen, Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dummynet and simulating random delay

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 03:03:06PM -0500, Andresen, Jason R. wrote:
> >From: Luigi Rizzo [mailto:rizzo@icir.org]

> >varying but
> >>
> >> I don't think dummynet can do this in its current form.  Based on
> >
> >actually dummynet never does reordering within a single pipe, even
> >if you change the delay on the fly.
> >
> >But this said, you should explain "varying but well defined delay",
> >because if you use TCP or similar as the source, then you
> >have no control on when the userland write->tcp transmission delay
> >anyways so the concept is a bit vague and probably not a meaningful
> >experiment. And even in any common network (from switched
> >ethernet to wireless to dsl...) you have some variance on the delay,
> >ranging from a fraction of a millisecond to much larger values,
> >due to queueing and/or protocol issues (e.g. MAC channel allocation)
> >and/or switch/router/operating system issues.
>
> I'm trying to simulate a satellite link that has a normal delay of 1
> second, but every 20-30 seconds or so the delay shoots up to 3.5
> seconds for about 4 seconds and then settles back down to 1 second.
> >From what you said, I'm thinking that just twiddling the pipe on the
> fly will probably work.

yes but just curious, this is something so odd that i wonder
if you couldn't try to reproduce the real reasons for the increase.
Is the extra delay due to the device stopping handling stuff for
2.5seconds, then catching up ?
if that's the case you might try to change the bandwidth to a
very low value for the period while the satellite is asleep,
and then back to the normal value. I am not 100% sure but
this should work and give a more accurate emulation of what happens,
especially the recovery period.

cheers
luigi