Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:31:21 +0200
From:      Hans de Hartog <dehartog@rootsr.com>
To:        Tim Singletary <tsingle@triana.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto install apache+mod_ssl+mod_php4 ?

Tim Singletary wrote:

>>I guess there must be somebody out there that has
>>apache + ssl + php4 working on FreeBSD 4.4????
>>

> No problem:
>
>    # cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
>    # make install
>    # cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4
>    # make install
>
> Works great for me, except for `apachectl restart'.
>
> tim

Thank you, it works!

What was the real problem? If you install from the
packages in ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/....,
apparently dependencies are also on the level of
packages (is that generally true?).
So, mod_php4 also installs vanilla apache over whatever
version of apache that's already there.
If you build and install from /usr/ports/*/*,
dependencies can have better granularity and
mod_php4 only checked for /usr/local/sbin/axps
and was happy with whatever version was there.

Again, thank you!
Hans de Hartog.