Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:56:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        root@chain.iafrica.com (Root)
Cc:        question@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq & 16mb

> I have a Compaq ProLinea 4/50 with 24 mb's of RAM. Unfortunately, BSD
> only recognises 16mb of it. Now I know about bounce_buffers, and they are
> set to on. Yet, I still have access to only 16mb of RAM. Any way to force
> the kernel to recognise 24mb ?

Bounce buffers have only to do with DMA transfers over the bus; they
are not useful any more unless you have broken hardware.  They have
nothing to do with reported memory size.

You need to overide the CMOS memory size (which on Compaq and some Dell
machines is limited to 16M).  See /sys/i386/conf/LINT for details...
you will need to build a new kernel.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---