Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:57:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        dhw@whistle.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to get hardware info

>Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 20:48:30 -0800
>From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>

>What information do you require?  I think we've discussed this before;
>if I remember correctly I'm not convinced that your justification for
>having the information is really particularly useful, and worse the PC
>doesn't make it possible to get the information you want in the first
>place.

Correct on all counts, which is why I was actually trying to avoid
re-hashing the issue, but let the original poster know that some of this
had been discussed before.

Put into a "requirement":  I need enough information so that an
automated process could generate a shopping list for a relatively unskilled
person to be able to obtain the components to replicate a given system,
then do so.

It is assumed that the boot.flp & installation media, as well as current
backups of the system are available.

The purpose is for disaster recovery preparedness.  Consider, please:
we have off-site backups of all the servers & most of the desktops;
adding another system to the amanda disklist is anywhere from borderline
trivial to an hour's worth of work.  Determining the configuration of a
machine to the requisite level of detail is (for me) challenging and
time-consuming.  And tracking those changes is a task that does not
scale at all well.

I am trying to automate as much of this as possible; doing things
manually that computers are able to do automatically isn't my idea of
"fun."

For comparison, I posted some excerpts -- I really doubt anyone would
want the list spammed with the entire thing -- of the output of
"sysinfo -level all" from a  modest Solaris 2.x (SPARC) system during the
previous go-round.  Its level of detail is awe-inspiring (or something
like that).

I'd be happy to do the work to port the code, if I could find out how
to get at the information... but the situation you metion in your last
comment is, apparently, the killer.  More's the pity.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621