Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 19:27:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@tok.qiv.com>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

Addison Wesley publishes Knuth's books on TeX and MetaFont (5
volumes). Expensive, but _well_ worth the price. Same publisher
publishes Leslie Lamport's books on LaTeX. I've heard that "LaTeX for
the Impatient" is good, though I haven't read it. The recommendation
came from someone who used TeX in a commercial production environment,
so it may be worth a look.

I've seen nothing on Lyx. Although if you understand TeX and the LaTeX
macros, it's fairly obvious what Lyx is doing (quite well, BTW). teTeX
is a specific distribution of TeX that basically rearranges the
directories TeX installs in and uses the kpathsea libs to find things.
Any generic TeX docs will work for teTeX.

It might be helpful to think of TeX as a _typesetting_ system rather
than a text processing system. ;)

-- Jay