Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:22:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Joe Pokupec <joepok@gci.net>
Subject:   Re: Java Requires X Windows?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 06:01:51PM -0900, Joe Pokupec wrote:
>
> > Do I need to have X Windows installed for Java to 1.4 to run on FreeBSD 5.1?

To run, no. To build, what Matthew said.

> You don't need a full installation of XFree86: all you need are the
> devel/imake4 and the x11/XFree86-4-libraries ports.

Although if you're doing any AWT stuff server-side (eg, rendering
graphics on the fly for delivery by servlet) you may find you need this:

	JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true

I believe the 1.4 release notes for Java include details about its
somewhat improved (ie, it works) "headless" support.

...and then three milkmaids turned up
(to the delight and delactation of the crowd).