Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 05:05:08 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: ports freeze delay

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 04:23, you wrote:

> I sent a reply out, and the only date that went into
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/schedule.html was 3/15.  I don't
> know how much more published it could have been.
>
> Joe

I'm not blaming you, just said I missed it and of course after I missed it I
missed everyting after that. I'm not blaming anyone like I said, just that it
happened, that's all. Next time I'll look back into releng (which is apart
from release time usually meaningless). But I hope you can understand that
once you've seen such a date it might easily be a week or so before you'll
find it's been changed through email.

How about when we get towards release we send info/updates notices daily or
even more if needed to all port maintainers or even all subscribers of the
relevant mailinglists? A lot more than normally. The more the merrier. After
all, it's release time. I'm sure between all the spam we get we won't mind an
extra reminder. I mean if it failed between KDE <--> Gnome we need a better
"alarm" system, no?

Would that perhaps be a practical solution to not get into missed-freeze-date
things. I mean I was absent about, well, a week, from the lists alone. Many
committers/maintainers have that occasionally. It's very easy to be absent
for one or two weeks. You're busy a few days and sick a few others and
well... there you are.

** Digging up lots of sand to make room for the peace pipe already a very big
one of course argh deep digging deep digging **

Hope I've cleaned the air now, just trying to make things better.

Kind regards,

Dan