Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:48:30 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   syslogd died w/ signal 4

I saw the following in my nightly "server security check output" on Friday
morning:

--------<snip>--------

server kernel log messages:
> pid 70 (syslogd), uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)

--------<snip>--------

What does signal 4 mean?  Where can I go to read up on these signals?  Any
thoughts as to what might have caused this?

Another interesting quirk is that when I restarted syslogd, the message
appeared in /var/log/messages but with the time that I restarted syslogd,
NOT the time that the error occured.

Please cc: any replies to my email... thanks!
Scott I. Remick			mailto:scott@computeralt.com
Network and Information Systems	(802)388-7545  FAX:(802)388-3697
Computer Alternatives, Inc.		http://www.computeralt.com

----------> http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/ <-----------

"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."