Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:18:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Joachim_Str=F6m?=bergson <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Donn Miller <hackr_d@yahoo.com>, Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft uses FreeBSD

[ redirected to -chat, since it begins to be WOT ]

> The GPL is just a detail MS can aim for in their FUD attacks. The
> business folks buying MS products are managers that (my generalisation)
> are technically clueless, but somewhat better dealing with numbers,
> dollars Euros and so on.

If they weren't, they wouldn't buy :-)

> These kinds of people react badly to words like "communism", "cancer"
> and other fearful words that sounds bad for business. If MS can connect
> (in the minds of the customers) Linux and FSF with such words and
> phrases, Linux will have a much harder sale.

> MS are always trying to establish these kinds of words, phrases and
> associations. "Freedom to innovate", anyone?

<half serious>
Rather than attack "communism", "cancer", etc., M$ actually turn out to attack
the methods of [open] scientific research itself (!).

M$'s ahem "commercial" approach to software development (FUD, marketing,
deadlines...) seems NOT to have much to do with the aforementioned methods,
albeit their highly skilled [?] programmers are supposed to (or should) be
applying software engineering methods.

If there were a way to connect (in the minds of the customers) M$'s FUD with
**this** idea (ie the attack on scientific[-like] research methods), M$ would
have a much harder sale...

N.B. in this connection, it is also important to note that M$'s behavio(u)r is
indeed [the] most anti-american in that, inter alia (DOJ docet), it is against
innovation.
</half serious>

Just my 2 picoEuro.
-- Salvo