Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:46:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        Jason Heibult <heib2246@blue.univnorthco.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minimum system requirements for FreeBSD

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Jason Heibult wrote:

> I was wondering what the minimum system requirements for FreeBSD are?

I've been running a mail/web/dns server as well as a NAT gateway on a
386dx40 with 8meg RAM for several years.  One caveat is that you need at
least 12 meg RAM to run sysinstall on more recent versions of FreeBSD, but
I could do a buildworld on a faster machine, then installworld on the '386
just fine.  It's recently been retired from those duties and now serves as
just a fax server, but it's always done the job.  DNS, mail for a handful
of users, and a low traffic web site isn't all that demanding.  After all,
this machine was state-of-the art 10 years ago. :-)

Ken