Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 08:16:28 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IE for FreeBSD Petition

> From: Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 22:41:11 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Mon, 22 May 2000 09:36:03 +0930  Greg Lehey wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | I think this is a very bad idea.  Look at your mail message for one
>  | good reason why: Microsoft software is just plain broken.  You
>  | probably don't even realise that your message was written without line
>  | breaks.  Isn't it much easier to read like this?
>  +------------------
>
> Before we start calling the kettle black we might want to check the color
> of our own pot.  Your mailer included the following headers.

>     Phone: +61-8-8388-8286
>     Fax: +61-8-8388-8725
>     Mobile: +61-418-838-708
>     WWW-Home-Page: http://www.lemis.com/~grog
>
> Unless something has changed recently I don't beleave that these are valid
> headers by any interpretation of the appropriate RFCs.
>
> At best these should be inside a Comments: header or perhaps preceded
> by an X- to indicate that they are not standard.  Current convention
> appears to be to slap these into a xcard or vcard format encapsulated
> in MIME.

While this form is mildly discouraged by RFC-822 and I would use a
"X-" in front of them, they are perfectly in accord with the
standard. According to RFC-822, you can use ANY header name you wish
to use except those reserved by RFC-822 and its descendents.

Headers beginning with "X-" are guaranteed not to ever be used in any
standard, so they will always be safe, but, as long as Greg is willing
to modify his headers if any become part of a standard, his headers
are completely compliant.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)