Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, sthaug@nethelp.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Our routed - Vern says it's old and buggy.

:>
:> - Recent values of GateD are distributed under a very unfriendly
:> license.
:
:Must be more to it, then.  The basic idea of what the OSPF router
:program should do, it doesn't sound like a huge problem to do, and the
:actual specs are pretty well laid out and public, right?
:
:----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
:Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data

    Given the choice between OSPF and RIP1/2, OSPF is far superior even on
    'simple' networks.  It is effectively an open protocol, like BGP.

    GateD is *very* unfriendly.  It is user-unfriendly and it is
    OSS-unfriendly.  It is not something I would like to see in the
    base distribution ( nor something I think we could put in the base
    distribution ).  Also, the older, more OSS friendly versions of gated
    have too many bugs to be useable as a base.  The OSPF implementation
    in it wasn't really fixed until late last year.

    For a knowledgeable programmer, building an OSPF router is not too hard to
    do, especially on modern UNIX systems like FreeBSD and Linux which
    have route monitoring sockets and fine control over the kernel routing
    tables.  It would be a very cool thing to add.  About a man-month worth of
    programming & debugging.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>