Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:51:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [mirror@xyz.lcs.mit.edu: xyz.lcs.mit.edu 6-hour mirror update]

<<On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:06:28 +0000, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org> said:

>> [I wrote:]

>> Is it really necessary to touch more than a thousand files with such
>> frequency, particularly when the source files have not changed at all?

> Is this a problem, when using rsync?

It doesn't matter what protocol one is using; the problem is one of
burying administrators under a blizzard of irrelevant changes.  I
rarely ever look at the mirror reports for the period when the docs
are updated because I have to plow through 1000 lines of crap to see
anything I might remotely care about.

>> For that matter, is it really necessary that there *be* nine different
>> versions of the same document?

> I don't know.  I have no stats on the relative popularity of the various
> formats when it comes to downloads.

Over the past five days, almost all of the FreeBSD/doc/ activity on my
FTP server is from people using FTP-based mirror software.  I see
three requests over that period from non-bulk downloaders (identified
as anyone who doesn't get all four compression formats):

/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.pdf.zip
/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.pdf.zip
/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.html-split.tar.zip

The Web server does not see any activity over a similar period for doc.

> HTML, split HTML, PS, and PDF are probably fundamental formats.

I see no need for more than one HTML version.  PostScript and PDF are
(in this particular case, given how they are generated) semantically
equivalent; having the PostScript version serves no useful purpose.

> Plain text was asked for numerous times.

There is some value in the plain text for people with traditional FTP
clients who just want to use `more'.

> RTF is for people who are thinking about FreeBSD, and want to (for
> whatever reason) read the docs in Word (or similar).  I know, it sounds
> weird (why not just use PDF?), but that's what was requested multiple
> times on -doc.

Must... resist... fist... of... death....

> Multiply that by three for the Gzip, Bzip, and Zip version.  Can we
> remove any of them?  Probably not.  Gzip and Zip both have their uses,
> and the BZip format is generally shaves a multiple-tens of K when used.

gzip and zip are (effectively) the same format.  If there's only one
file in the ZIP archive, gunzip can deal with it just fine.  I see no
evidence that the bzip(2) format is being used at all, and the
resources wasted by putting it on all the mirrors are probably more
than it would save a user looking for a document (most of whom are
going to get it from the Web anyway).

> Then there's the pkg_add'able versions, which are just good sense.

Well, they don't make any sense at all to me, so you'll have to
justify that a bit more.

- -GAWollman

--h1KMROjk005528.1045780044/khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu--