Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:43:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Ben Kirkpatrick, ELI" <blkirk@float.eli.net>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD & booting on /

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Philippe Regnauld wrote:
> My question is: is there no workaround/unspeakable hack that
> could be made, with CCD in the kernel,  for the bootblocks to read
> from the first of an N-part mirror, just to get past the boot ?

Here's another idea (very out there).  During boot, I don't think there's
any way of safely reading two copies of the boot blocks.  But, you could
have the boot code check several places for a kernel and do checksums on
them.  Then pick a good one and boot.  I've never tried this, but you'd
have to umount+mount / again... Perhaps have an /altroot or a mfs to
accomplish this early in the rc's.  Okey, I'd better quit now, my
crack-tablet-dispenser is broken.

--Ben Kirkpatrick