Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:05:18 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mozilla's install hanging on amd64

--nextPart1177400.TspJ3DznPG

On Tuesday, 12. April 2005 07:33, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> > Mikhail seems to have forgotten that not too long ago, CPUTYPE was
> > something for only the most daring would use. GCC's optimizers have seen
> > much improvement since then, but just because you can get away with
> > always setting CPUTYPE for everything much more often these days doesn't
> > mean it's not risky anymore (or we would have the resources to runtime
> > test every port in the collection with all possible CPUTYPE settings on
> > each arch).
>
> Nothing except Mozilla has ever caused problems for Mikhail, that was
> traceable to this switch.

Lucky Mikhail. I actually don't believe you really missed the tons of broke=
n=20
ports that -march=3Dp4 used to produce with early versions of gcc3 though.

> make.conf(5) documents it, it should work. Period.

make.conf(5) documents CFLAGS. What would you like to infer from that fact?

> And everything does=20
> work. Complex things like Perl build fine and pass their self-tests (make
> test). The entire KDE built and works (although it is lacking self-tests).
>
> Time to stop blaming compiler for the software's bug -- and Mozilla has
> plenty of them.

If a compiler optimization produces a bad binary while the same compiler wi=
th=20
the switch off does not (or a different version of the compiler with the=20
switch does not), the compiler usually *is* to blame. I don't know of cours=
e=20
whether this is the case, I couldn't find the beginning of this thread.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org