Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:00:59 +0900 (JST)
From:      =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2YwZhsoQg==?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSxHbhsoQg==?= <g-nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp>
To:        nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU, alexandr@louie.udel.edu, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Gnome

On 4 Jun 1998 23:51:07 -0000
Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> Jerry Alexandratos, on Thu 6/4/1998, wrote the following:
> >
> > Is anyone working on a port of Gnome?  I was thinking about tackling it,
> > but I wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on anybody's toes.
> >

> Alot of the pieces have been done, kinda.  Mico was done, but then they
> changes to orbit.  The gnome-libs and gnome-core packages dont really
> have a stable realease that I know of.   They are still going through
> alot of development and growing pains, it seems to me.  I did one
> a while ago, only to be obsoleted within the week.  You would also
> have to disable all the Linux specific stuff that builds (like anything
> that uses procfs and kernfs).  God luck, though.

I've already done port the minimum(core) part of Gnome and now release
unofficialy. And it also some other unofficial ports...
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/4384/gnome-0.13-980521.tar.gz
(mico 2.0.5 is
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/4384/mico-2.0.5.tar.gz)

Gnome changes and is updated daily, but you may compile with that.
I disabled only modem related applet and at least the panel, the core of
Gnome work.

There must be more work to do the Gnome port for FreeBSD.
Also, I think it need some FreeBSD-Gnome servers to fetch Gnome cvs
snapshots and compile those on FreeBSD every day.